Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Networking Mistakes: He Doesn't Want to Date You

Alright people, so as I near the end of my internship, I realize I have learned quite a bit and it's time to share some of my wise and unwise wisdom with the world, and any future interns who are interested.

Networking can be a funny and tricky thing, but it is encouraged as the KEY to success in Washington, DC. It often turns out that it isn't WHAT you know, but WHO you know. A wise, wise man I had an informational interview gave me advice along the lines of, "speak nicely of the people you like, and even nicer of the people you don't like" because the circles here are SMALL (especially in any circle even close to Hill involvement) and you never know who knows who, or when you'll run into people again.

Some quick suggestions:
1. Try to act confident, even when you don't feel completely sure of yourself. Push yourself to introduce yourself to as many people as you can!
2. Make sure you are cordial and polite with everyone upon meeting them for the first time
3. SMILE :) -- and a firm handshake also makes a statement, but I never quite got that down.
4. Don't be afraid to ask people for their business cards to keep in touch, and make sure to FOLLOW UP.
5. The majority of working people in Washington, DC will seem to be your age: try to eliminate people you meet in professional situations as dating material...

Some of this I have done successfully and some I have not... As the story I'm about to tell will show. I personally have felt uneasy at times because I feel that being an intern is enough of an "in-between" state to feel awkward at times. I'm definitely not a working professional, and I'm still technically a college student. But, I would encourage people to try and act more professional than you feel at all times.

So an EPIC networking fail to guarantee you a laugh: Waiting on line to get into a hearing a few weeks ago, I wound up chatting with a pretty attractive guy. When we got into the hearing, he gestured (what I thought was only to me) to exchange business cards. Mortified to give him my own card that SCREAMS intern, I mumbled something about being an intern under my breath and started talking to a friend next to me, we'll call her Amy. So this is the hearing where I met Secretary of Edu, Arne Duncan. In an attempt to befriend this cute guy, I decided to do a follow up email and tell him that he missed out on the excitement of meeting Arne when he left the hearing early. Unfortunately, the email bounced back due to "security reasons,"-- OK wasn't meant to be. Hah. A week later, I get an email from HIM, saying it was nice to meet me and he hopes our "paths cross again soon." As a precaution I get in touch with Amy who was at the hearing with me and also got his card -- apparently he had only emailed me -- so that is an offer if I've ever seen one. WRONG. I respond quickly saying that I'd love to meet up sometime, maybe over dinner? Well, he never responds. A few days later I'm at an education networking breakfast of sorts... talking to Amy... and who should walk in? But the mysterious cute boy from the hearing. "Oh by the way!" Amy says, "He DID wind up emailing me, too!" And to make my luck worse, I actually get stuck sitting RIGHT next to him. FML. After attempting to ignore him most of the time, he actually winds up talking to me at one point, apparently he is well into his 30's and keeps making references to how old he is and bla bla. Ok, I get it. In truth, he is a very nice guy, and he parted with a "let me know if you ever need anything" (aka questions about policy, jobs, etc). Moral of the story: older and attractive men may be charming and friendly, but he does not want to date you. So learn from my mistakes friends, and it's back to the brutal reality that dating is a b*tch.

Laugh it up, we all know I deserve it. More stories to come soon.

4 comments:

  1. hahaaaa good one ariel. !!! maybe next time champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like to think about all your mannerisms at realizing what was going on, and can not help but laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel,
    I am trying to keep up with your blog now that I have my computer back.

    I miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably would have done the same thing!! And you are right, this is FML worthy!!

    ReplyDelete