Monday, March 30, 2009

Stuck in an Elevator and Bathroom Gossip

Hello all! I realized there are some exciting things that have been happening, and I have been leaving you all un-updated! Not too many ridiculously tragic things have been happening to me lately, which is actually good for me, but unfortunate for you only because I don't have too many amusing stories to tell. But today there is one, of course. My Monday has to begin with actually getting an early start out the door, only to get STUCK in the elevator leaving my apartment. I actually didn't freak out as much as I thought I would, I was mostly just pissed off that I tried to be on time to work and now I was going to be late! But I wound up having to press that emergency button in the elevator, apparently resulting in the fire department showing up. My SAINT of a roommate also came to my rescue by getting maintenance after I called her... But we had a moment of banging on the wall back and forth to eachother trying to figure out what floor I was on. Anyway, I missed all the hoopla because they found a way to re-start the elevator and it went right down to the basement floor, and I was kindof afraid to risk taking it back up, so I pretty much just peaced out... but I'm going to try to write a thank you letter to the maintnence (I think I'm butchering this spelling -- sorry) staff or something. But that was a serious FML moment.

Gah I can't believe I haven't updated in this long -- a lot of things happened last week! Ok this post is going to be purely informational! Two main highlights of last week: I think it was Tuesday I went to the House Budget Committee hearing and two very exciting things happened to me... besides that I was at the hearing from 9:30am - 4pm... (and it was still going when I left) During the lunch break I went to fill up my water bottle and saw one of the NY reps in the hallway. We made eye contact and you all know my tendancy to be chatty... so I told him I was from NY and thanked him for all he does, and I'm going to break down this priceless conversation for you: he goes, "where in NY are you from?" (So he is probably just being friendly, right?)
"Long Island..."
"Where on Long Island?" (He's from NY, obviously familiar with the area, no biggie)
"Port Washington..."
"So you went to Schreiber high school?"
"Yup!"
"Do you know Maggie Spreitzer?"
"YES!"
"I'm her God father"
::me freaking out::
For those of you who don't know Maggie, she is one of my very close friends from high school, and considering my excitement I think I managed to control myself in front of the Congressman, but it can be such a small world, right?! His assistant gave me his card, and I'm in the process of getting in touch with him, but he offered to take me out to dinner and everything! How cool! I'll keep you posted.

So after this I'm on my networking high and I'm in the bathroom and I see another rep from the hearing fixing her make-up, etc... so I just say hi and ask her how shes liking the hearing so far... small talk somehow leads to a gossip session about Nancy Pelosi and her plastic surgery... wow. I won't say her name for "protection" purposes, but the Long Island girl in me got a kick out of that conversation... how many can say they gossiped with a representative in the bathroom? Hah!

Well I have other stories from last week, but they will have to wait because I've got to run to my internship programming that we have every Monday afternoon... it's usually a lecture of sorts. And then I've got class tonight! I hope everyone is doing well in their corner of the world, know that I am thinking of you and missing you... <3

1 comment:

  1. At least you are njoying your job. That is pretty cool that you get to socialize with congressman and such. Also, I would stick to the stairs if I were you.

    ReplyDelete